Who we are
We are UpSurge Baltimore, and we are working to build Baltimore into the country’s first Equitech City. Equitech is a movement born in Baltimore to create a culture of belonging in tech.
UpSurge is growing a nationally-recognized tech economy by supporting tech founders and startups, with an intentional focus on Black and other underestimated founders, and leveraging Baltimore’s diverse talent and assets. We want to help transform this city into a thriving economy where prosperity is shared across zip code. Our focus on the knowledge economy is not the end – it’s a means to an end. The end is ensuring more Baltimoreans have access to well-paying, family-advancing jobs and opportunities.
At UpSurge, you’ll be part of a driven, innovative, results-focused, but welcoming and casual team, on a mission to galvanize Baltimore’s tech ecosystem. It’s an exciting opportunity to help shape and build a transformational initiative from the ground-up, alongside established and emerging Baltimore leaders. You’ll be pivotal to our success as a small but mighty 6-person team with a host of engaged contractors. In turn, we promise a dynamic work environment, solid benefits, a collaborative team, and the ability to interact with, influence and learn from leaders in the tech and startup communities.
Our team values: Mutual Learning, Equity, Experimentation, Progress over Perfection, Collaboration and Connection
If you are looking for work in a supportive, entrepreneurial environment, are interested in building something meaningful, have the humility to do what it takes to grow an ambitious initiative from the ground up, and want to have fun while doing it, we’d love to hear from you.
Who you are
We are looking for a professional, energetic self-starter who knows how to manage a lot of balls in the air at once. Reporting directly to the CEO, you’ll be asked to understand the ins-and-outs of UpSurge, work with a range of internal and external partners, and help to prioritize key projects. Through our schedules, our CRM system, office operations, and a variety of events and projects, you’ll help to organize our work, ensure excellent execution, and maintain our momentum.
This is a full-time position that supports the administrative needs of the CEO and the UpSurge team and manages a growing number of responsibilities in our offices. As a valued member of a small team, this individual is central to the work of our organization, and may be asked to take on or support other activities. It’s also critical that you are committed to driving diversity and belonging, and combating racism and other forms of discrimination.
What you’ll do
- Help manage the CEO’s calendar, including scheduling meetings and appointments.
- Support scheduling and preparations for group meetings and events. Coordinate, as necessary, with other members of the UpSurge team and/or with UpSurge partners (including executives and key leaders) when setting appointments. Order supplies, including meals and refreshments as needed; develop and/or gather preparatory materials, including agendas and briefing materials; and ensure event preparation, including booking meeting rooms and anticipating tech needs.
- Support follow-up from group meetings, i.e. taking notes and preparing clean report-out documents.
- Support key administrative tasks as needed, including managing travel itineraries, and submitting expense reports for the UpSurge CEO and senior team members.
- Work with the COO to support team-building and people operations activities (for example – organizing team retreats)
- Oversee UpSurge’s organizational email and internal calendar, tracking and responding to inbound interest and proactively adding events, activities, etc.
- Track progress on key initiatives, working with internal leads to prepare for next-step activities.
- Efficiently respond to calls, emails and requests for support from internal team members and external partners. Make sure things don’t fall through the cracks.
- Support data entry and updates including contact information, outreach, and other activities through HubSpot CRM. Work with Data Analyst to ensure CRM data is clean and up to date.
- Develop a clear understanding of UpSurge priorities and work with internal partners to develop more efficient workflows within HubSpot. Assist with special projects, as assigned.
- Work independently and follow tasks through to completion, proactively seeking guidance when necessary
- Oversee the smooth running of operations in our offices, currently located at the Railway Express Lofts. As a hybrid use space – UpSurge Offices, Techstars accelerators home base, and community events space – the office requires an operations and community manager. This requires being present in the office space regularly throughout weekdays.
- Ensure offices are equipped with supplies; coordinate requests to building management as needed; and follow up on issues reported in the space.
- Manage access to the office space including assigning fobs and access codes to new people coming to cowork or use the space for events. Welcome new users and provide tours of the space, including sharing expectations around conduct in the space.
- Manage intake process for new users in the space, including code of conduct, parking, and event request forms. This may include meeting with community partners to scope out event needs.
- Proactively make recommendations and execute on solutions as issues or needs arise in the space.
We are seeking a highly driven and detail-oriented individual who can simultaneously work independently and collaborate effectively. A strong candidate will thrive in a fast-paced, ambitious, mission-driven organization.
Successful candidates will have a deep passion for and belief in Baltimore, and in UpSurge’s mission, and also have the following skills and qualifications:
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple priorities while maintaining attention to detail and accuracy
- Positive, warm approach and enthusiasm to take on assignments and support team
- High emotional intelligence to coordinate with a diverse set of personalities (from administrators and nonprofit leaders to industry executives and government officials) in person or virtually
- Proactive about asking questions, offering solutions, and enhancing processes
- Illustrates tact, discretion, and good judgment in handling sensitive information
- Comfort with Google Workspace products (Gmail, Docs, Drive, Slides, Sheets) and an ability to adapt to and become familiar with new programs and software
- Experience with CRM system, such as HubSpot is a plus
- Experience in office and/or community manager roles is a plus
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to comply with our COVID-19 vaccination policy
Diversity at UpSurge
UpSurge Baltimore is committed to maintaining a workplace where diversity of identity, culture, and life experience is the norm and is celebrated authentically and respected consistently. Diversity in our work and our people drives creativity and innovation, entrepreneurial leadership and integrity, productivity, and collaboration. We depend on our differences to make our team stronger, our workplace more dynamic, and our mission more achievable. We highly encourage applicants who self-identify as Black, Indigenous, Latinx, LGBTQ+, Disabled, non-binary or transgender to apply.
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
Baltimore (While this position offers hybrid work opportunities, the individual must be available to manage the UpSurge office and attend in-person meetings and events in the Baltimore area.)
- Savings Accounts
- Telemedicine Program (for those enrolled in Medical)
- Basic Life & Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- Voluntary Life & Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
- 401(k) (50% employer match up to IRS limit, 4-year vesting)
- Unlimited vacation policy
Please fully review our philosophy and approach at UpSurgeBaltimore.com before applying. To apply, submit your resume to email@example.com.